The City of Bradford Pipe Band was originally formed in 1914 as a drum and bugle band by the Bradford Volunteer Force and called the Sports Battalion Band.
In 1917 bagpipes were introduced into the band by Major Hazley from the Royal Scots. On his death the band paraded in the Hunting Stewart tartan and was renamed the ‘Hazley Memorial Band’. By 1923 full highland uniform had been adopted and in 1946 female dancers were introduced. In 1947 another benefactor of the band retired, a local influential business man, Mr R Mansfield, and the band was again renamed the Hazley Mansfield Pipe Band.
In 1962 after the death of Mr Mansfield, the band’s name was changed to the present City of Bradford Pipe Band. Bugles had been replaced by bagpipes, and the band became a fully equipped highland pipe band.
In 1966 at a national competition organised by the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association, the band became the All England Champions grade IV. since then they have competed in competitions all over the country and have been successful in winning the All England Championship three times, the European Championship, the World Drumming and the All England Drumming, besides other numerous minor competitions, grade III and IV.
Our teams of highland dancers also have a long record of medals and trophies won at competitions throughout the north, and organised by the Scottish Board of Highland Dancing.
2014 saw the centenary of the band, this obviously warranted some recognition and so we held a celebration event and designed new badges for our glengarry and feather bonnets.